Monday, March 3, 2008

A Tribute to Kevin O'Brien

Bro. Kevin O'Brien passed away this past week, after a long battle with cancer.  He was the long-time pastor of Bethany Baptist Church. He had a profound impact on my life as I encountered his preaching at various youth camps and conferences.  I decided to journal my thoughts to him:

You were always an inspiration to me. In a day of compromise, you were always a man of conviction.  You were who you were right to the end of your life. You never let suffering, fear of man, or anything weaken your faith.  Did you ever wonder if it was worth it? Did you ever think about giving up?  Did you know the impact your ministry had? God used you in such a special way in my life, and I know your ministry will live on in those whom you invested yourself, which were many. How amazing it must be that the One you knew in faith you now behold in sight! What you preached about, prayed for, and dreamt of is now a reality.  We give thanks for the life you lived and the life you are living now.  Thanks Bro Kevin!  You continue to inspire me; I hope I finish my course with the same purpose and passion that you did.

The song has it right: It will be worth it all, when we see Jesus. Life's trials will seem so small, when we see Christ! One glimpse of his dear face, all sorrow will erase, so let us run the race, 'till we see Christ!

No comments: